Advertisement. ADs

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Kalki romances Prosenjit in Shanghai

Mumbai, April 18 -- There's been a lot of speculation over which of Shanghai's leading men Abhay Deol or Emraan Hashmi has been paired with Kalki Koechlin in Dibakar Banerjee's political thriller. Now, Bengali superstar Prosenjit Chatterjee confirms he is playing that role.

"There is only one romantic pair in the film Kalki and I. My character is highly educated and very intellectual, which attracts her to him," says Prosenjit. "They are very passionate, which called for some really bold love making scenes." About his young co-star, he says, "She's very hard working. Both of us had a problem with Hindi, but finally we did a good job, I hope."

The 49-year-old actor will be seen in a Hindi film 21 years after Veerta (1991). Prosenjit, who plays a revolutionary political leader, might not have a very long role, but he insists that the whole film is centred on his character. "I took the role as it's so strong that people will remember it forever," he says.

Dibakar Banerjee says Prosenjit took almost two months to decide whether to do the film. "I had to meet him again and again to convince him," he says. "Then he realised that I am treating everyone as a character in the film, so he finally agreed."

The actor even shot a 20minute long scene at one go, which was reeled in sync sound. He recalls, "For any actor, such a scene is a task. It was a challenge for me because after a long time, I had to speak in Hindi, and without the support of dubbing at that." Now he's open to doing more Hindi films, provided he is offered some sensible roles. He says, "Vidya Balan and I are keen on working together since a long time. Let's see. Sujoy (Ghosh) is trying to figure out something. I am not very sure if it's really happening anytime soon."