Advertisement. ADs

Monday, April 23, 2012

Dangerous Ishhq not erotic but a supernatural thriller, says Karisma

Less than three weeks from now, Karisma Kapoor will be back on screen in Vikram Bhatt’s Dangerous Ishhq. The 3D love story goes back in time to 1498 through past-life regression and explains the mystery shrouding the character’s life.

“Vikram wrote the story based on a personal experience and suggested I allow myself to get hypnotised too. But I refused,” says Karisma. “I believe the people you feel close to in this life are those with whom you share a janam janam ka rishta (seven lives bonding). They’ve returned to complete the karmic circle or be your guardian angel.”

She also points out that several of her milestone movies, Hum Saath Saath Hain (1999), Fiza (2000), Zubeida (2001), Shakti (2002) and Dangerous Ishhq (2012) were shot in Rajasthan. And she feels connected to the place: “I speak Marwari in the film, along with Hindi, English, Urdu and Punjabi. Punjabi was the toughest because it was spoken by a girl from Lahore who moves to Amritsar in 1947. Her Punjabi had a tinge of Urdu and a slight accent.”

Dangerous Ishhq has been described as an erotic thriller, but Karisma insists that even though several young actors are cast opposite her, it’s still a supernatural thriller. “And since it has been shot in 3D, it adds to the eerie feeling,” she adds.

There’ve been plenty of offers over the years, but Karisma chose to focus on her home and family. “But now that the kids are older, I want them to know what I used to do. Films moulded the person that I am,” she says. “It feels great to see Samaira and Kiaan listening to my film’s music CD. And it’s great to return to my first love with a heroine-centric film that goes back in time and demands a lot in terms of make-up and makeover, dialect and performance.”

‘Angelina Jolie is a global icon’ Ever since Karisma’s first look in Dangerous Ishq was unveiled, there’ve been plenty of speculations about how her red gown was a replica of Angelina Jolie’s black number from the Oscar red carpet. The actor shrugs them off. “That still was shot a month before the Oscars. And Angelina was striking a pose while I’m walking. Yes, they do look similar and if people are comparing us, I’ll take it as a compliment. Angelina is a global icon and a fantastic actor.”

She’s also got a lot of wows for her svelte form, but admits a lot of hard work has gone into it. “Dieting, exercise and running after the kids,” smiles the yummy mummy, adding, “This is how I’d look even if I was just going out to dinner with the kids.”