Advertisement. ADs

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Akshay Kumar to play Lord Krishna!

Akshay Kumar is God. Contrary to speculation, it’s not going to be Shah Rukh Khan or Salman Khan who’ll play Lord Krishna in Grazing Goat Pictures’ first production, OMG...Oh My God, but the star producer himself. “We hadn’t approached any other actor, we were contemplating it, but I was able to adjust my dates and make time for the cameo. It’s only eight-10 days work, but it’s a significant role,” says Akshay.

The screen adaptation of Paresh Rawal’s play Krishna vs Kanhaiyalal, the Umesh Shukla-directed film has Paresh, who is co-producing the film along with Ashvini Yardi, play an atheist. “He’s done 750 shows of the play, all houseful. Opting for someone else would have been wrong. It had to be Paresh,” Akshay reasons, saying a friend from Canada had recommended the play to him. The actor says, “I saw it last year and it changed my way of thinking. From God-fearing, I became God-loving. I instantly bought the film rights.”

Mithun Chakraborty is playing a spiritual leader and Akshay’s sure the role is going to win him lots of awards. “The whole industry calls him Dada and he’s like an elder brother to me. I’ve grown up on Gun Master G-9 and Disco Dancer,” he reminisces, adding that he had sketched out the idea of the play to Mithun on the Housefull 2 sets. “And without even seeing it he was sold! He had to do the film.”

Besides these three big names, OMG... has only stage actors. The film is 60 per cent complete and eyeing an end of the year release. “The idea is not to mint money, as I can earn money from other kinds of cinema. It’s to come out with something different, that I believe in,” says Akshay.

“This Friday John (Abraham) is turning producer with Vicky Donor, which is based on sperm donation. Between September and November, I’ll take forward the message of who God is through OMG... Hit or miss, I’m glad I’m making this film!”