Advertisement. ADs

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Gabrielle Giffords to Resign from Congress

Following an inspiring return to Congress in August - one that took place just months after she was shot in the head during a campaign event in Arizona - Rep. Gabrielle Giffords announced today that she is resigning from her position.



"A lot has happened over the past year. We cannot change that," Giffords said in a video on her website. "I don't remember much from that horrible day, but I will never forget the trust you placed in me to be your voice."

"Thank you for your prayers and for giving me time to recover. I have more work to do on my recovery. So to do what is best for Arizona, I will step down this week."

Giffords is expected to attend the State of the Union Address Tuesday and then submit a letter of resignation to House Speaker John Boehner and Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer.
The state will hold a special election to fill the Democrat's seat later this year.