Advertisement. ADs

Monday, May 23, 2011

Karan Johar: '40 is the new 50, not 30' - Latest Bollywood News Gossips


Mumbai, May 24 -- Karan Johar turns 39 tomorrow and is planning a big celebration before the depression sets in. According to the filmmaker, turning 40 signals the death of youth. "There are many who believe that 40 is the new 30, but for me, it's the new 50. If I don't officially kill myself next year, I will probably have my retirement plan in place and be sitting in a wheelchair somewhere," he wisecracks with a straight face.

Point out to him that buddy Shah Rukh Khan, at 45, is still the 'Dilwala' of Bollywood, and he quips, "Shah Rukh is a superhero, he doesn't count." Karan made his debut as a director at the age of 26 with Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), a college love story. This July, he starts filming Student Of The Year, which is another campus caper with a trio of debutants, Alia Bhatt, Siddharth Malhotra and Varun Dhawan.

"It's exciting working with young actors, they make me feel young. Who knows what will happen after 40?" he deadpans. Karan has 'officially' become an uncle after Purab Kohli called him that in a recent coffee ad, also featuring Deepika Padukone.

"It was a joke in the script and I had the sense of humour to go along with it even though a lot of people reacted with 'How could you?' My argument was that I've been in the industry for almost 15 years now, I colour my hair and there was a time when I called others uncle. So now I should be prepared to be called uncle too," he reasons. "Age is just a number anyway."

Simi Garewal is returning to TV with India's Most Desirable, showcasing some of the country's most eligible bachelors. Has Karan been approached for it? "No, I haven't," he retorts. "Maybe at almost 40 I'm no longer considered eligible."