Advertisement. ADs

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Rani raves, rants! - Bollywood News Gossips


Mumbai, Mar. 5 -- After almost half a decade of starring in forgettable films like Ta Ra Rum Pum (2007), Laaga Chunari Mein Daag (2007), Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic (2008) and Dil Bole Hadippa (2009) to name a few, actor Rani Mukerji is finally in the limelight again.

She's started shooting with Aamir Khan on March 1 for Reema Kagti's forthcoming film. Back in the news after the commercial success of No One Killed Jessica (NOKJ), Mukerji lashes out at rivals who had written her off.

Pointing out that she still has a long way to go in Bollywood as she is still young, Mukerji adds, "My only contemporaries are Sushmita (Sen) who is two years older than me and Kareena (Kapoor) who is two years younger than me."

Mukerji also says that she is not in the same bracket as cousin Kajol who is her senior: "Her contemporaries are Raveena (Tandon) and Karisma (Kapoor). I have just done one film, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998) with Kajol, but she is not my contemporary. Also, Aishwarya (Rai) is five years older than me while Preity (Zinta) is four years older than me." In no mood to hang up her boots just yet, the 32-year-old actor says she is not afraid of getting old. "I am really young. My career has only grown better with time. Now is the best phase of my career. Luckily the films we make today give people an opportunity to do all kinds of cinema."

She is quick to add that she doesn't want to be typecast in roles similar to her spitfire character Meera in NOKJ. "I am open to all genres. There is no differentiation between the kind of films I want to do. I just want to do good work." Mukerji says she is most excited to work with her Ghulam (1998) co-star, Khan: "I continue to learn from him since the first time we acted together. Working with him is very special. I love Aamir and he has been my friend for so many years that I can't think of words to describe him."

There were reports that Khan would be shooting in some red light areas for this film and one of the lead actresses will be playing a prostitute. However, Mukerji is tightlipped about the project. "It's too premature to talk about Reema's film or my character. Reema has always come to me with her scripts but nothing worked out earlier. I am very happy to finally work with a female director."

Regarding her projects this year, Mukerji says, "Working with Anurag (Kashyap) will be wonderful but right now, no one has been signed for that project. He is still working on the script." Regarding reports about Rajkumar Gupta's dark comedy Ghanchakkar, the actor says, "It's a male-centric film. He hasn't offered it to me and I won't be doing it."